freetds - Re: [freetds] Executing a huge sql script

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Executing a huge sql script
  • Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2013 10:13:10 -0500

On Wed, 13 Nov 2013 01:19:45 +0000
Chris Kings-Lynne <Chris.Kings-Lynne AT navitas.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to execute a huge sql script via tsql and although it can
> execute from management studio, tsql just fails halfway though.
> There's no error, nothing. It just finishes its 10th set of 1000
> inserts (with GO between) and simply chooses not to continue on with
> the next lot, in the same file.

I don't recommend tsql for that purpose; that's not its intended use.
tsql is primarily a diagnostic tool for testing the tds library
independent of the client libraries. That's why it has a bunch of
weird options for bypassing the configuration files, for instance.

I can't think of a reason offhand it would fail, though.

I recommend bsqldb for non-interactive use. The 'b' stands for
"batch". bsqldb will definitely report any errors and messages from
the server, and will exit if a server message carries a serverity >
10.

If that doesn't solve your issue, you'll need a TDSDUMP log.

HTH.