freetds - Re: [freetds] CTLib and DBLib on MSSQL

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler AT peppler.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] CTLib and DBLib on MSSQL
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 20:16:02 +0200

On Jun 27, 2011, at 3:51 PM, Thompson, William wrote:

> Don't apologise Mahendra!
>
> So the Sybase::CTlib and Sybase::DBLib modules are part of sybperl:
>
> http://www.peppler.org/freeware/sybperl.html
>
> So Sybperl would normally be built on top of the Sybase open client
> libraries, but the freetds equivalents can be substituted instead. So yes,
> you would have to rebuild or re-install sybperl, and make sure that when
> you do so, that it picks up the freetds libraries instead of Sybase's. In
> our user guide we show how that can be done to build DBD::Sybase (another
> Sybase module for perl). I daresay there will be something similar for
> sybperl.

This should normally work, although I haven't tried it recently.

If the OP doesn't have too many perl scripts I would recommend migrating
these scripts to DBI/DBD::Sybase (or DBD::ODBC) as this API is better
maintained, and will continue to be maintained in the future.

Michael
--
Michael Peppler

"A successful [software] tool is one that was used to do something undreamed
of by its author." -- S. C. Johnson