freetds - Re: [freetds] FreeTDS on Debian: connect to MSSQL with ODBC fails

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Frediano Ziglio <freddy77 AT gmail.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] FreeTDS on Debian: connect to MSSQL with ODBC fails
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 08:57:14 +0100

2011/1/10 Boniforti Flavio <flavio AT piramide.ch>:
> Hello Frediano, hello list.
>
> Sorrz for getting back to this so late...
>
>> Just to recall
>
> The configs are still as zou wrote...
>
>> tsql is working:
>>
>> # tsql -S sqlexpress -U sa
>> locale is "it_CH.UTF-8"
>> locale charset is "UTF-8"
>> Password:
>> 1>
>
> Yes it is
>
>> You can go through steps:
>>
>> 1: odbc.ini that points to freetds.conf
>>
>> /etc/odbc.ini:
>>
>> [sqlexpress]
>> Servername = sqlexpress
>> Driver = FreeTDS
>>
>> # isql -v sqlexpress sa
>>
>> should work
>
> It does *not* work:
>
> root@ticket:~# cat /etc/odbc.ini
> [sqlexpress]
> Servername = sqlexpress
> Driver = FreeTDS
>
> root@ticket:~# isql -v sqlexpress sa
> [S1000][unixODBC][FreeTDS][SQL Server]Unable to connect to data source
> [37000][unixODBC][FreeTDS][SQL Server]Accesso non riuscito per l'utente
> 'sa'.
> [ISQL]ERROR: Could not SQLConnect

Mmmm... "[FreeTDS]" means that unixODBC is loading and using FreeTDS
driver. On the other side "Accesso non riuscito..." means that isql is
actually connecting to a sql server (the Italian error came from sql
server). If tsql works this means that odbc driver should connect (no
ssl or tcp/ip protocol problems). I don't know how isql works without
a password but try to pass password to isql like

# isql -v sqlexpress sa your_password

This has security impacts (anybody logged in the system while
executing isql command can read command line!) but for a test in your
personal machine this is not a problem.

>> 2: move freetds.conf entries to odbc.ini
>>
>> /etc/odbc.ini:
>>
>> [sqlexpress]
>> Server = 172.16.16.254
>> Port = 1433
>> TDS_Version = 8.0
>> Driver = FreeTDS
>>
>> # isql -v sqlexpress sa
>
> This too is not working:
>
> root@ticket:~# cat /etc/odbc.ini
> [sqlexpress]
> Server = 172.16.16.254
> Port = 1433
> TDS_Version = 8.0
> Driver = FreeTDS
>
> root@ticket:~# isql -v sqlexpress sa
> [S1000][unixODBC][FreeTDS][SQL Server]Unable to connect to data source
> [37000][unixODBC][FreeTDS][SQL Server]Accesso non riuscito per l'utente
> 'sa'.
> [ISQL]ERROR: Could not SQLConnect
>
> Anz help will be appreciated...
>
> Thanks,