freetds - Re: [freetds] FreeTDS on Debian: connect to MSSQL with ODBC fails

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Boniforti Flavio" <flavio AT piramide.ch>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] FreeTDS on Debian: connect to MSSQL with ODBC fails
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 09:49:44 +0100

Hello Frediano and thanks for getting back to me.

> > root@ticket:~# isql -v sqlexpress sa
> > [S1000][unixODBC][FreeTDS][SQL Server]Unable to connect to
> data source
> > [37000][unixODBC][FreeTDS][SQL Server]Accesso non riuscito per
> > l'utente 'sa'.
> > [ISQL]ERROR: Could not SQLConnect
> >

> Mmmm... "[FreeTDS]" means that unixODBC is loading and using
> FreeTDS driver. On the other side "Accesso non riuscito..."
> means that isql is actually connecting to a sql server (the
> Italian error came from sql server). If tsql works this means
> that odbc driver should connect (no ssl or tcp/ip protocol
> problems). I don't know how isql works without a password but
> try to pass password to isql like
>
> # isql -v sqlexpress sa your_password
>
> This has security impacts (anybody logged in the system while
> executing isql command can read command line!) but for a test
> in your personal machine this is not a problem.

Indeed, it *is* working when passing my password!!! Look:

root@ticket:~# isql -v sqlexpress sa password
| Connected! |
| |
| sql-statement |
| help [tablename] |
| quit |
| |
SQL>

So, where may the problem lie?

Thanks for helping me getting to this point.

Flavio Boniforti

PIRAMIDE INFORMATICA SAGL
Via Ballerini 21
6600 Locarno