freetds - Re: [freetds] Library loading

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Richard Gibson <fluffy.gibson AT gmail.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Library loading
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 15:14:37 +0100

Hi

Thanks for the reply. Am I right with the following then regarding LGPL and
not having to release any program I write using the library?:
1. Static linking at compile time is NOT permitted
2. Dynamic linking at compile time IS permitted
3. Runtime loading IS permitted
4. GCC compilation using
-dynamic -l<libraryname>
performs a dynamic linking
5. GCC compilation using
-static -l<libraryname>
performs a static link (essentially bundling the other library into the
final executable)
6. LGPL permits usage of a library as long as it is NOT statically linked,
else it is considered a derived work

Thanks again
Rich