freetds - [freetds] pyodbc returns MS SQL Server money type as float

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Michael Wolfe <michael.joseph.wolfe AT gmail.com>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [freetds] pyodbc returns MS SQL Server money type as float
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 11:28:01 -0400

I'm connecting to a SQL Server 2000 database via pyodbc and FreeTDS.
I am running a query that returns the sum of a money column. The
result is being returned by pyodbc as a float, not a python Decimal.

When I run the exact same python code and query against the exact same
MSSQL database from Windows (ie, not using FreeTDS), pyodbc returns a
python Decimal.

There are obviously many differences between the two operating system
environments, but I believe the central issue is with FreeTDS. It is
entirely possible that I have not configured things quite right.

I am curious if this is a known limitation of FreeTDS or if I have
just failed to configure something properly.

Please note my comfort zone is with Windows and VBA, not Linux and
python....so be gentle.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

-Mike

  • [freetds] pyodbc returns MS SQL Server money type as float, Michael Wolfe, 07/30/2010