freetds - Re: [freetds] Library loading

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Frediano Ziglio <freddy77 AT gmail.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Library loading
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 16:00:26 +0200

2010/7/30 Richard Gibson <fluffy.gibson AT gmail.com>:
> Hello all
>
> For anyone reading this, in answer to my own message the other day (
> https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/freetds/2010q3/026188.html), it is quite
> simple. A quick read of the C++ dlopen mini HOWTO (
> http://ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/html_single/C++-dlopen.html)
> showed the answer.
>
> In the section 3.3 of this howto in example 2, it clearly shows use of
> dlopen once to open the library. In our case, we'd open the relevant FreeTDS
> library .so file.
> Then, it goes on to use dlsym more than once for the symbols it is
> interested in. Therefore, we need to extract and convert EACH symbol we're
> interested in.
>
> Examination of the samples with FreeTDS will highlight the functions we need
> to use.
>
> Once thing I'm still not too clear on - which .so should I be loading? libct
> or libsydb? Anyone?
>
> Thanks
> Rich

Hi,
before you spend other time... in LGPL license dynamic loading is
against static loading, do not confuse with runtime linking
(dlopen/dlsym and so on). That is use -l linker option or import
library, the important thing is that FreeTDS code is in a separate
file (like .so, .sl or .dll file).

bye