freetds - Re: [freetds] Compiling freetds on OS X 10.6

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Craig A. Berry" <craigberry AT mac.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Compiling freetds on OS X 10.6
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 08:06:39 -0500

On Jun 23, 2010, at 3:43 PM, Craig Yoshida wrote:

Hi all,

I'm trying to get freetds to compile on OS X 10.6 for use with pymssql and the Enthought python distribution. I'm not concerned about ODBC drivers, etc. (should I be?). The Enthought Python distribution is 32-bit, so I've been trying to get freetds to compile as a 32-bit library as well, but I get errors during the linking step. Has anyone done this before and are willing to advise?

Still slumming along on Leopard here, not Snow Leopard, but IIRC I now have to configure with --disable-libiconv in order to force FreeTDS to use its own iconv routines. I don't remember the details, but there's some funny business about the iconv that comes with Mac OS X. At one time I think --disable-libiconv was done by default on OS X; I'm not sure if that was removed intentionally or fell by the wayside accidentally (or if I simply misremember).

This would only help if the link errors you're seeing are related to iconv. Otherwise, people would need to see the exact details of those errors in order to advise you.

Craig A. Berry
mailto:craigberry AT mac.com

difficult than getting in."
Brad Leithauser