freetds - Re: [freetds] TDS versions

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Dossy Shiobara <dossy AT panoptic.com>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] TDS versions
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 14:32:29 -0400

On 2008.05.28, Craig Berry <craigberry AT mac.com> wrote:
> I can't find anything there indicating that TDS is considered to be
> one of the MCPP protocols. It's not in the (presumably full) list of
> protocols mentioned in the license agreement [...]

It may have simply been left off. I'll try to email someone at
Microsoft to get a clarification and/or update.

> IANAL, but it doesn't sound to me like it's at all compatible with the
> LGPL.

The MCPP license doesn't seem compatible with GPL/LGPL, but the Open
Source pledge sure does.

> >This is quite pleasant, IMHO: commercial projects need to license, open
> >source doesn't need to explicitly license.
>
> That may be your opinion, but unless I'm mistaken that's completely
> incompatible with the LGPL. [...]

If this is indeed the case, then this is yet another strong argument
against using the GPL/LGPL. (I personally prefer the MIT/BSD license.)

However, multi-licensing of works is not uncommon. Vendors such as
MySQL offer code under GPL or commercial license. Microsoft is
essentially doing the same here, dual-licensing the specifications. The
MCPP licensing may not be GPL/LGPL compatible, but the Open Source
pledge should be? (IANAL, etc., so it'd be nice to get actual strong
legal advice here.)

--
Dossy Shiobara | dossy AT panoptic.com | http://dossy.org/
Panoptic Computer Network | http://panoptic.com/