freetds - Re: [freetds] TDS versions

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Dossy Shiobara <dossy AT panoptic.com>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] TDS versions
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 13:13:44 -0400

On 2008.05.29, James K. Lowden <jklowden AT freetds.org> wrote:
> That is, code that uses "open source project" code explicitly does *not*
> acquire The Pledge in so doing. Open source projects are covered;
> projects that use them are not.

Ouch. I think you're right and that is seriously unfortunate.

> Think about that for a second. It doesn't matter how you use FreeTDS
> (once MARS becomes part of it, if it does). If you're, say, Bank of
> Morocco and you use FreeTDS as part of DBD::Sybase in an internally
> developed application, you *must* pony up for an MCPP license. Because
> you're infringing on the patent and are not part of an "open source
> project". You only "make or use such software outside the scope of
> creating such software". Ka-ching!

Hmm. Perhaps we should inquire to Microsoft as to the cost of a MCPP
license, with redistribution rights. Perhaps the FreeTDS project can
acquire a MCPP license with redistribution rights and "redistribute"
FreeTDS to anyone who wants to link to it?

--
Dossy Shiobara | dossy AT panoptic.com | http://dossy.org/
Panoptic Computer Network | http://panoptic.com/