freetds - Re: [freetds] libdbi - freetds driver

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Vadym Kononenko <vkononenko AT atlantic-link.com.ua>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] libdbi - freetds driver
  • Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 10:52:56 +0300

On Thursday 18 August 2005 16:27, Thompson, Bill D (London) wrote:
> OK,
>
> Well if libdbi mirrors the perl dbd/dbi interface in any significant
> way, i.e. if the libdbi api functions look anything like their perl
> equivalents, it might be useful to know that the perl DBD::Sybase plugin
> sits over the *ctlib* API.
>
> also, ctlib is a more "low level" API than dblib, so it's likely to be
> more flexible to the requirements of libdbi than dblib would.
>
> HTH,
>
> Bill

Yes, this is fine. But this driver (dbd-tds) is mostly done.
And I think that way described in my previous letter:
"But I think it could be better to use the tds layer for my task.
Because DBD is a database-dependend layer of the DBI architecture,
I hope You know about. So DBD should be a link between DBI calls and
database-dependend CLI libraries (libtds?).
[userApp] <-> [libDBI] <-> [DBD-FreeTDS shared object (driver)] <->
[libtds] <=TDS=> [MSSQL/Sybase DBMS]"
is better than
[userApp] <-> [libDBI] <-> [DBD-FreeTDS shared object (driver)] <-> [ct-lib
or
any other] <-> [libtds] <=TDS=> [MSSQL/Sybase DBMS]

Yes , sure. Using stable API is more light way... but any way when driver
work
with driver it's not very good.

--
Best regards.