freetds - Re: [freetds] libdbi - freetds driver

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Thompson, Bill D (London)" <bill_d_thompson AT ml.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] libdbi - freetds driver
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 12:44:39 +0100

Hi Vadym,

Without answering your question, one piece of advice...

If at all possible, I would build your libdbi api on top of one of the
existing api's - dblib ctlib or odbc.
I'd be interested to know what you want to do that you feel these API's
cannot provide...

The tds layer is really intended to be internal to freetds itself.
Very often, we find it necessary to alter the specification and/or behaviour
of the libtds functions.
You will, therefore, be making a future problem for yourself by basing your
code on libtds.

On top of that, the dblib, ctlib and odbc api's are well documented publicly,
providing you with a good description of expected behaviours on which to base
your libdbi code.
We maintain the documented behaviour of these API's under all circumstances.

HTH,

Bill