freetds - Re: [freetds] libdbi - freetds driver

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Vadym Kononenko <vkononenko AT atlantic-link.com.ua>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] libdbi - freetds driver
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 15:29:53 +0300

On Thursday 18 August 2005 14:44, Thompson, Bill D (London) wrote:

Hi, Bill!

> If at all possible, I would build your libdbi api on top of one of the
> existing api's - dblib ctlib or odbc.
I can imagine the way to make FreeTDS dbd driver for DBI
using ctlib or dblib, but it's incorrect to do the driver using odbc anyway,
because DBI architecture is too similar to ODBC.
So may be You right, but I'm not sure which one of dblib or ctlib is better
use for my task? Can You (or anyone else) help me?

> The tds layer is really intended to be internal to freetds itself.
But I think it could be better to use the tds layer for my task.
Because DBD is a database-dependend layer of the DBI architecture,
I hope You know about. So DBD should be a link between DBI calls and
database-dependend CLI libraries (libtds?).
[userApp] <-> [libDBI] <-> [DBD-FreeTDS shared object (driver)] <->
[libtds] <=TDS=> [MSSQL/Sybase DBMS]
Any corrections of my vision are welcome!

> Very often, we find it necessary to alter the specification and/or
> behaviour of the libtds functions. You will, therefore, be making a future
> problem for yourself by basing your code on libtds.
Agree, I just don't know about often spec changes.

> On top of that, the dblib, ctlib and odbc api's are well documented
> publicly, providing you with a good description of expected behaviours on
> which to base your libdbi code. We maintain the documented behaviour of
> these API's under all circumstances.
Will keep in mind.

--
Best regards.