freetds - RE: [freetds] ODBC configuration dialog on Windows

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] ODBC configuration dialog on Windows
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 12:10:38 -0400

Let me save Steve Kirkendall the trouble of answering that, so that one good
deed may go unpunished.

Steve didn't port Microsoft's server to Linux. Neither is he running
Microsoft's server on Linux. Neither did he reproduce a Microsoft-like
server on Linux, except for very small values of "reproduce".

What he did was build on src/server in the FreeTDS distribution. That code
is the server-side complement to the client libraries: it accepts TDS
connections and responds to certain TDS packets. Steve added the ability to
understand some rudimentary SELECT statements. This lets him pass the
contents of some data files back to ODBC clients by fooling them into
thinking they're talking to a Microsoft server.

I think it would be facinating to bolt the src/server code onto the front of
another database server -- pick any one -- because in theory it would allow
familar Sybase/Microsoft tool to be used with other backends. That would be
freeing to many developers. It's also very different from what Steve
undertook.

Anyone interested in running a Microsoft-like server on Linux may wish to
consider Sybase. Version 11.9.2 is available for Linux at no charge.

the sender immediately by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original
message. Please note that we do not accept account orders and/or instructions
by e-mail, and therefore will not be responsible for carrying out such orders
and/or instructions.
If you, as the intended recipient of this message, the purpose of which is to
inform and update our clients, prospects and consultants of developments
relating to our services and products, would not like to receive further
e-mail correspondence from the sender, please "reply" to the sender
indicating your wishes. In the U.S.: 1345 Avenue of the Americas, New York,
NY 10105.