freetds - Re: [freetds] iconv message suppression

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Frediano Ziglio <freddyz77 AT tin.it>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] iconv message suppression
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 17:18:14 -0000

Il dom, 2003-11-30 alle 18:03, James K. Lowden ha scritto:
> On Sun, 30 Nov 2003, Alex Kiesel <kiesel AT schlund.de> wrote:
> > > It's not so good to use ucs2 for utf16 but it can work...
> >
> > Is there any other way to convert the data?
>
> I think Frediano is referring to the fact that UCS-2 and UTF-16 overlap
> but differ.
>
> http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/unicode.html#ucsutf
>
> If unichar data are actually encoded in UTF-16, they may theoretically
> include characters off the Basic Multilingual Plane. Such characters are
> encoded in UTF-16 as two 16-bit "surrogate" characters, which obviously
> shouldn't be interpreted as two UCS-2 characters.
>
> The question is, can the server actually deliver/accept non-BMP
> characters? If not, we can pretend we're dealing with UCS-2 data. Else
> we have to do it right, to do it right. ;-)
>
> Regards,

Working on FreeTDS on Sunday too ??
I'm continually getting mail from samba-tng developing... well, I'm not
the only mad in the world :)

Another issue using ucs2le is... le! If client is big-endian it get
utf16be and trying to convert using ucs2le is not as good as client was
little-endian.

I finished my iconv test program and now my computer is crunching ...

$ ps awx | grep iconv_test
3620 pts/0 R 356:40 ./iconv_test
15706 pts/1 S 0:00 grep iconv_test