freetds - Re: [freetds] Connection Refused.....

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Connection Refused.....
  • Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 18:51:25 -0500

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 20:07:51 +0200, "Stephan Viljoen" <steph AT gabswave.net>
wrote:
> I'm experiencing some difficulties connecting from linux to my SQL
> server. I've checked and SQL is definitely running for the reason I can
> telnet into localhost on port 1433 (telnet localhost 1433). Now the
> thing that baffles me is that I can't telnet into it when using the
> servers IP address (10.1.0.5). I've even tried to do a port scan from
> linux with nmap and port 1433 is definitely not showing in the list as
> an open port. Do I need to setup some sort of policy somewhere for the
> port to accept incoming connections from other hosts?

I'm a little confused by your problem description. Are you running Sybase
or Microsoft? What operating system is hosting SQL Server?

It's possible to block ports at the OS level. Maybe someone here will be
able to help you, but it's really a server setup issue.