freetds - Re: [freetds] How can I contribute?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] How can I contribute?
  • Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 14:58:24 -0500

On Sun, 22 Dec 2002 19:41:25 -0800, "Santa Maria, Paul & Kathy"
<paulsm AT jps.net> wrote:

> I'm a newbie with respect to Open Source. I'd like to "become
> involved", but I'm frankly at a loss how to go about it.

Hello Paul,

The first advice I should probably give you is not to ask for advice on
what to do. Every open source project absorbs any and all positive
resources; there's no dearth of need. The most important thing to do is
to pick something that will sustain your interest, something you like,
something that matters to you. With that in mind ...

> I'd be happy to help with any documentation.

... documentation is a great way to get involved. One of my ambitions for
the project is API documentation. That's becoming more important because
we seem to attract people nowadays who aren't old db-lib hands but rather
are dealing with a Microsoft (typically) database server for the first
time. Your db-lib experience would come in handy, of course, and you
would have the vendors' documentation to compare to.

We're using doxygen to generate the documentation. It reads formatted
comments in the source code and generates html. We've just barely
started, but it's completely possible for a single person to complete the
basic db-lib documentation in a few months.

If that tickles your fancy, great. If not, well, see my first advice.
:-)

Welcome to the project.

Regards,