freetds - Re: [freetds] How can I contribute?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Frediano Ziglio <freddyz77 AT tin.it>
  • To: FreeTDS <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] How can I contribute?
  • Date: 23 Dec 2002 08:32:48 +0100

Il lun, 2002-12-23 alle 04:41, Santa Maria, Paul & Kathy ha scritto:
> Hi -
>
> I'm a newbie with respect to Open Source. I'd like to "become
> involved", but I'm frankly at a loss how to go about it.
>
> I certainly wouldn't mind contributing money (I've never used PayPal
> before - I assume it's easy to "enroll" and safe to use).
>
> I'd be happy to help with any documentation.
>
> But I'm most interested in any development tasks I might be able to
> help with. I know C/C++, T-SQL, VB and Java. I'm an MCDBA (certified
> under MS-SQL 7, I'm afraid - I haven't upgraded for SQL 2000 yet).
> I'm equally comfortable accessing MS-SQL from an ASP web page as from
> a DBlib 'C' program. And my home network runs both Linux and various
> flavors of Win9x and Win2k.
>
> Soooooo...
>
> Any suggestions how I should proceed?
>
> Thank you in advance .. Paul Santa Maria

New to OpenSource? Don't worry, quite easy. Just write some code,
documentation, discuss with us...

If you want to help developing some knowledge are required:
- use a editor (I think not your problem)
- some base uses of tools:
- diff
- cvs
- doxygen

Some thing that can be done:
- review lidtds documentation
- test code on various platform and with different database versions
- review code (fix FIXME, implements TODO)
- implement new code (see TODO file or do whatever you want)
- read documentation and improve it.

Oh.. don't worry for certifications.. I don't attend any sql server
course (only a ANSI SQL course)