freetds - Re: [freetds] How can I contribute?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Steve Langasek <vorlon AT netexpress.net>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] How can I contribute?
  • Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 22:36:20 -0600

Hi Paul,

Welcome to the party!

On Sun, Dec 22, 2002 at 07:41:25PM -0800, Santa Maria, Paul & Kathy wrote:

> I'm a newbie with respect to Open Source. I'd like to "become
> involved", but I'm frankly at a loss how to go about it.

> I certainly wouldn't mind contributing money (I've never used PayPal
> before - I assume it's easy to "enroll" and safe to use).

> I'd be happy to help with any documentation.

> But I'm most interested in any development tasks I might be able to
> help with. I know C/C++, T-SQL, VB and Java. I'm an MCDBA (certified
> under MS-SQL 7, I'm afraid - I haven't upgraded for SQL 2000 yet).
> I'm equally comfortable accessing MS-SQL from an ASP web page as from
> a DBlib 'C' program. And my home network runs both Linux and various
> flavors of Win9x and Win2k.

> Any suggestions how I should proceed?

If nothing else, I would bet your skills could be put to good use in
pinning down dblib bugs that no one has noticed yet -- particularly if
you have dblib source code around that you could test against the libs.
There's also the file doc/api_status.txt in the CVS tree, which should
give you an idea of what parts of dblib (as well as the other APIs)
still needs to be worked on.

IMHO, i18n is still a weak area in the code, as it depends too heavily
on manual charset selection instead of inheriting settings from the
environment.

And, oh, Kerberos authentication support would be nice at some point. :)

Cheers,
--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer