freetds - [freetds] Connect to MSSQL 2000 fails

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Markus Wolff <wolff AT 21st.de>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [freetds] Connect to MSSQL 2000 fails
  • Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 15:06:58 +0100

Hi there,

I´m a total FreeTDS newbie so I hope you won´t mind me asking stupid
questions :-)

I have a fresh install of FreeTDS on a SuSE 7.1 box and I want to use
it via PHP. The PHP part is not the problem however, as I can´t
connect to a MSSQL 2000 server running on W2K using tsql.

This is what I type:
> /usr/local/ftds/bin/tsql -S deepspace1 -p 1433 -U dima

...and this is what I get:
> Msg 10018, Level 9, State 0, Server OpenClient, Line 0
> The connection was closed
> Msg 20014, Level 9, State 0, Server OpenClient, Line 0
> Login incorrect.
> There was a problem connecting to the server

The freetds.log shows this information:
2002-12-03 14:51:17 Connecting addr 192.168.168.200 port 1433
2002-12-03 14:54:26 inside tds_process_login_tokens()
2002-12-03 14:54:26 inside tds_process_default_tokens() marker is 0
2002-12-03 14:54:26 leaving tds_process_default_tokens() connection dead

The MSSQL server is configured to accept server logins as well. The
user "dima" is an existing user with appropriate rights. I can connect
to the server with this user from any Windows client.

In the freetds.conf´s [global] section I have defined the TDS protocol
version to use as 7.0. Additionally, I have defined a server named
"deepspace1" like this:
> [deepspace1]
> host = 192.168.168.200
> port = 1433
> tds version = 7.0

Because I wasn´t sure if FreeTDS would use freetds.conf or interfaces,
I´ve created an additional interface file that looks like this:
> deepspace1
> query tcp tds7.0 192.168.168.200 1433

The interesting question is: Why doesn´t it work this way? I already
went through any piece of documentation, FAQ and tutorials that I
could find. The only thing that´s a little special about my setup is
that the MSSQL server is behind our firewall - but there´s a forwarder
(which works, I can get through via telnet) that allows our webserver
to connect to our firewall on port 1433, which routes the connection
to our internal MSSQL server.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Markus

--
*21st Media* | Consulting, Konzeption, Produktion für die Bereiche:
Markus Wolff | Internet, Intranet, eCommerce, Content Management,