freetds - RE: MS SQLServer 2000 and "for xml auto" command

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: ZIGLIO Frediano <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafoneomnitel.it>
  • To: "'TDS Development Group'" <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: MS SQLServer 2000 and "for xml auto" command
  • Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 10:56:43 +0200

> Guys,
>
> I'm trying to make sense of the conversation between Freddy and Brian
> Yesterday.
>
> Do the changes that you have proposed mean that there is no
> longer a need
> for tds_convert_ntext ?

tds_convert are not only called for converting from data returned to db to
client data.
Client can call (indirectly) tds_convert_ntext.

> Another way of putting the question:
> Is ntext data being "de-unicoded" and turned into normal text data by
> process_row() ?

This is true. But is not the same question...
I don't like de-unicoding data. Data may lost... as I suggest in a previous
mail late conversion is better.
If I write (in mssql7+) a column name in chinese (well, I don't still know
chinese..) there is no way to simply extract only this field from table (for
example) in our current implementation...

> BTW
>
> "column_xtype" went out with by original big bcp patch.
> It got replaced by "column_type_save", being the column type
> sent by the
> server.
>
> I just need to know what I should do with the tds_convert_ntext()
> function....
>

> Bill

If you have time to implement it...

freddy77

"STRICTLY PERSONAL AND CONFIDENTIAL

This message may contain confidential and proprietary material for the sole
use of the intended recipient. Any review or distribution by others is
strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient please contact
the sender and delete all copies.
The contents of this message that do not relate to the official business of
our company shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it."