freetds - RE: MS SQLServer 2000 and "for xml auto" command

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Brian Bruns <camber AT ais.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: MS SQLServer 2000 and "for xml auto" command
  • Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 05:11:43 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 30 Aug 2002, ZIGLIO Frediano wrote:
> This is true. But is not the same question...
> I don't like de-unicoding data. Data may lost... as I suggest in a previous
> mail late conversion is better.
> If I write (in mssql7+) a column name in chinese (well, I don't still know
> chinese..) there is no way to simply extract only this field from table (for
> example) in our current implementation...

I think UTF-8 is the way forward on this. The basic problem is what do
the unix apps support? It sure isn't UCS-2. If they support unicode
at all it's utf-8 and ucs-2 to utf-8 can be done losslessly. And then
there are crippled clients that need single byte char sets, I can't see
removing this for some years to come.

> > BTW
> >
> > "column_xtype" went out with by original big bcp patch.
> > It got replaced by "column_type_save", being the column type
> > sent by the
> > server.
> >
> > I just need to know what I should do with the tds_convert_ntext()
> > function....

tds_convert_ntext should in theory be exactly like tds_convert_text.

> > Bill
> >
> If you have time to implement it...
>
> freddy77

Brian