freetds - RE: FreeTDS and MS SQL known issues

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "'TDS Development Group'" <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: FreeTDS and MS SQL known issues
  • Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 11:51:58 -0500

Daniel,

You'd like to know everything? Wouldn't we all!

Seriously, there is no comprehensive list of what's not done or doesn't
work. The FAQ and the User Guide are our best effort to describe the
current state of affairs.

There isn't any problem specific to MS SQL Server 2000 that I know of. ISTR
it might have new datatypes, which we don't support. Using TDS 7.0, FreeTDS
will appear as a SQL Server 7.0 client to your server.

How well FreeTDS will work for your project depends a little on your data,
somewhat on what software you'll be using with it, and quite a bit on what
aspects of the API you'll want.

My first try at documenting the API coverage can be found at:

http://www.schemamania.org/freetds/cvs/freetds/doc/api_status.html

I think others on the list would agree that what is implemented works well,
is both fast and stable. When bugs are clearly identified, I have on
occasion seen Brian fix them the same day.

HTH & regards,