freetds - Re: Server Space PLEASE READ

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT speakeasy.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Server Space PLEASE READ
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 21:26:44 -0400

I get to offer an opinion? Oh, goody!

> I am interested in maximizing the efficency of
> this Message board by splitting into a couple teams.

Splitting the jdbc list from the C library list would help; sometimes
questions
arrive and it's not even clear which technology they're for.

> It would also break users up into experience levels to
> help give better guidence to newbies

Newcomers quickly become old timers (have I mentioned my kids' ages?), and
everyone
arrives with his own level of experience. Pooling the talent on one (or two)
lists
will be more effective than splitting things up until the message volume gets
out of
hand, IMHO.

Steve Langasek wrote:

> One advantage I see to putting FreeTDS on SourceForge is that there'll
> probably be fewer CVS problems to contend with.

Hear, hear!

CVS problems are not only technical. Just ask the Java folks.

Brian Bruns wrote:

> I use sourceforge for my other projects, and am generally satisfied with
> it. Using ssh to check in stuff is a pain, but overall it's pretty solid
> and offers a pretty complete package. Right now we have web hosting, list
> hosting, cvs repository, and bug tracking (if it still worked)

Bug tracking would be very helpful. Like the joke about the prisoners who
told jokes
by their numbers, we could say, "That's bug #74, fixed in 0.53." It would
also
invite (and facilitate) participation. Even keeping the FAQ up to date has
been a
challenge. Quick, what's the status of money on big endian clients and TDS
8.0?
That's what I mean.

I also think the user configuration ("favorite pairs") database is very
helpful. It
would be cool to have it on the main host. Not to impose anything on anyone,
of
course; no good deeds punished here.

My vote: Keep the web host; it's been reliable and has a nice domain name.
:) Move
the rest to SourceForge.

h franks wrote:

> I feel that a good base to use is "The Everything
> Development Company's Core" (http://everydevel.com/)

Interesting site, Mr. Franks. Two of my favorite technologies, too! Absent a
hosting site and a reliable webmaster, though, I don't see how to implement
your idea
right now. The current site is baby-simple. Not sophisticated but
approachable on a
part-time basis. If the list turns up a web zealot with a lot of free time
and an
itch to show off, that would be another story.

Just my contribution to the impending opinion deficit.