freetds - Re: Odd problem round 2.

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT speakeasy.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Odd problem round 2.
  • Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 02:13:33 +0000

D.J. is dead on!

from http://larr.unm.edu/~owen/SQLBOL70/html/ba-bz_7.htm:

bit (T-SQL)

Integer data type that can be 1, 0, or NULL.

Remarks

Columns of type bit cannot have indexes on them.
Microsoft® SQL Server optimizes the storage used for bit columns. If there
are 8 or
fewer bit columns in a table, the columns are stored as 1 byte. If there are
from 9
to 16 bit columns, they are stored as 2 bytes, and so on.

"Well, bit fields tend to only contain 1 or 0."

True enough for *Newtonian* bits, sure.

--jkl