freetds - Re: More on Odd Problem.

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: James Cameron <cameron AT stl.dec.com>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: More on Odd Problem.
  • Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 12:05:17 +1100

Tim Uckun wrote:
> I downloaded the CVS snapshot where would I get the latest autoconf?

What distribution are you using?

> I found some code that works sometimes. Every third or fourth time this
> code is called it segfaults but it work Ok the rest of the time!
> Totally unchanged code but it segfaults randomly.

Common experience. It is preferable to work with a reproducer that
reliably segfaults rather than one that does it randomly.

Unfortunately I don't understand this mssql interface to FreeTDS, as
I've always used the sybase interface. Otherwise I'd try to see if I
can make it do something similar on my setup with a different database.

My supposition based on the evidence so far is a code defect in either
the PHP mssql module, FreeTDS, or PHP. Pretty wide, I know.

I think you might need to learn some C language debugging skills to find
the cause, using gdb at the time of the failure.

[pause]

I've had a quick look at the PHP internal code implicated in the back
trace that you did. The fault appears to be caused by PHP trying to do
a strval() on a variable. At this stage I can't tell what the variable
is, nor why PHP is using a length of negative one. Perhaps it was a
variable created by the mssql() extension. We need the help of a PHP
internals hacker, or a reproducer that works for me.

--
James Cameron (cameron AT stl.dec.com)

http://www.linux.org/ http://www.linux.org.au/ http://www.freshmeat.net/