freetds - Re: FreeTDS on WinNT

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Stefan Bodewig <bodewig AT bost.de>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: FreeTDS on WinNT
  • Date: 26 May 2000 10:36:48 +0200

l> The reason why I want to do it is that I have to develop a
l> java-servlet wich should access a database on a MS SQL Server. And
l> while MS doesn´t support a JDBC driver I thought that I can use
l> Freetds [ it´s cheap ;) ].

As somebody else already said, you don't need the C lib at all to run
the JDBC stuff.

I have a couple of servers running in exactly the configuration you
describe.

Be aware of some (current) limitations of the JDBC driver though, it
doesn't support the "new" features of MS SQLServer 7 which means no
NTEXT (and friends) support and CHAR, BINARY and their VARYING
variants are limited to 256 bytes (CONVERT them to TEXT or IMAGE if
you need more).

Stefan