freetds - Re: JDBC Driver to SQL Server

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Andreas Tille <tillea AT rki.de>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: JDBC Driver to SQL Server
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 15:31:16 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 29 Sep 1999 Mike_Quandt AT fwc.com wrote:

> 2. In your last transmittal, you mentioned a servlet.
>
> a What is a servlet
It is what Bob sayd: The connection to the database is done on
the Web-Server. If you would specify your architecture someone
could suggest you a servlet engine. For apache it is jserv
(see www.apache.org or jserv.apache.org (or something like that -
it's from my mind).

> b. Can a servlet be used to access a database on a separate machine
> (i.e.
> MS SQL Server).
As I tried to describe in my previous mail. Yes! I'm doing this
in this way. The Apache-Server with Jserv runs on the Web-Server machine
(Debian GNU Linux). The srvlet uses the driver which is installed on this
machine. I havn't done anything with the Windows NT machine (and I
would refuse to do something there ;-) -- it's not my task to deal
with M$-Software).

> c. If I place an applet on a the web server, in essence isn't it acting
> as a servlet, or is there additional code imbedded in a servlet that
> makes it different than an Applet.
Please read the servlet-essentials document at http://www.novocode.com.
It contains a good example from where I started from. I've got it
working in two days including bundling the freetds driver.

Kind regards

Andreas.