freetds - Re: JDBC Driver to SQL Server

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Andreas Tille <tillea AT rki.de>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc: "Quandt, Mike @fwc.com" <Mike_Quandt AT fwc.com>
  • Subject: Re: JDBC Driver to SQL Server
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 12:12:28 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, Michael Quandt wrote:

> Does this driver go on the client machine, the web server or the Database
> Server
> running MS SQL Server. These are all three separate machines. I want to
> place an
> Applet on the Web Server that will query the Database Server, and return
> the results
> to the client on an Intranet. I don't want to run around the office
> driver on everyone's machine. I believe that it goes on the Database
> Server that is
> running the MS SQL Server software but I need to be sure.
I run the web server with servlet engine on a Debian GNU-Linux
box. The driver is neede here to support the package which
is needed by the servlet which does some manipulation on the
MS SQL server (do you expect I would build a Debian package for
MS SQL server ;-)) ). Of course no client needs the driver if
you use a servlet. In my opinion servlets are better to access
databases, but I'm really not an exoert and relatively new in
this field.

I havn't experiences with applets.

Kind regards

Andreas.