freetds - Re: FreeTDS and Sybase

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Gregg Jensen <greggj AT savvis.net>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>, olson AT sybase.com
  • Subject: Re: FreeTDS and Sybase
  • Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 09:06:15 -0600

Steve Olson wrote:

> In terms of TDS specification, we are prepared to make it available
> immediately; we are also giving serious consideration to open-sourcing
> dblibrary, client library, and possibly jConnect (our all-java jdbc driver).
>
> Your thoughts on how we can help are welcome.

This is very welcome and generous news. As Brian mentioned in his
note, there are some cross platform issues that are currently being
wrestled with, that could use some assistance. Certainly, making the
source to those libraries available would make a lot of the problems that
we have, simply go away. It will be interesting to see how close (or
really, how far off) the messages in FreeTDS were from the real thing
(like the END[23]_TOKENs).

This can certainly help move FreeTDS along quickly to become a stable
environment in which we all can be more productive.

This is exciting, thank you.

Gregg Jensen
greggj AT savvis.net