freetds - Re: format of "interfaces"?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Scott C. Gray" <gray AT voicenet.com>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: format of "interfaces"?
  • Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 13:06:27 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 26 Nov 1998, Brian Bruns wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Nov 1998, Tom wrote:
> >
> > What is the format of the "interfaces" file? I'm presuming that this is
> > where I define my servers, but it isn't clear what the difference because
> > the "query" and "master" lines.

> Currently, the master line is not used by us. It's a carry over from
> Sybase.

For what its worth, the 'master' line is used by server applications,
such as ASE or Open Servers to tell it which interface and port to
listen for clients on. A server may have mutliple 'master' lines
if it wishes to listen on multiple network interfaces...for example,
on NT, I may want my ASE server listening on MS Named Pipes for Windoze
clients and on winsock for UNIX clients.

-scott

--
Scott C. Gray gray AT voicenet.com "my keybard is brken"
Sybase Professional Services scott.gray AT sybase.com