corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Information on Pauline Parallels- The Book

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Jeff Peterson <peterson AT austingrad.edu>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Information on Pauline Parallels- The Book
  • Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 08:20:36 -0500

On Tue, 1 Aug 2006 14:38:17 Rick Hubbard wrote

<I own a copy of Pauline Parallels by Fred O Francis and J. Paul Sampley
<that
<was jointly published in 1975 by Fortress Press and Scholars Press. My
<understanding is that there have been subsequent editions of this book. I
<have three questions relating to this it

<First, does anyone know if the newer editions differ in the way the
<"parallels" are identified?

I think the differences between the first and later printings are limited to typography.

<Second, what is the present consensus on the value of the Francis- Sampley
<analysis.

Can't speak for anyone else, but I've always found the volume useful

<Third, is there a version of this book that uses a Greek text?

There is a Greek "Pauline Parallels" forthcoming (expected 2007) in THE NEW INTERPRETER'S BIBLICAL PARALLELS; the new Pauline parallels are done by James Ware, who recently published his dissertation on Philippians.

Jeff Peterson
Austin Graduate School of Theology
Austin, Texas