corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] The defection of Corinthian God-fearers to Paul

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: <tim AT timgallant.org>
  • To: <dhindley AT compuserve.com>, "Corpus-Paul" <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] The defection of Corinthian God-fearers to Paul
  • Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2006 10:08:18 -0600

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Hindley" <dhindley AT compuserve.com>
To: "'Corpus-Paul'" <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Saturday, August 05, 2006 9:55 AM

Richard,

Was that the lecture he gave in Detroit? I may be thinking of someone else.

Anyways, I am sure that Crossan would have based that statement on what he found in the letters, which are more or less firsthand
accounts, and treated Acts as secondary support, being a hearsay narrative retelling of Paul's reputed historical actions.

That Paul was dealing exclusively with gentile God-fearers is a pretty good bet. I know you have read Mark Nanos, who has reached a
similar conclusion. I cannot think of any evidence in the letters that support the idea that Paul evangelized gentiles who did not
already have some appreciation for Judaism or its God, although Acts does seem to suggest that.

I disagree. There are numerous places in the letters which suggest that Paul's hearers turned directly from idolatry to the Christian faith (e.g. 1 Thess 1.9 etc).

tim

Tim Gallant, M.Div.
Elder, Christ Covenant Church
Grande Prairie, Alberta