corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] the RHTWR of Acts 24

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Sorin Sabou" <sssabou AT rdslink.ro>
  • To: "Corpus-Paul" <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] the RHTWR of Acts 24
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 09:41:34 +0200

Jeffrey,

Here is the Latin text and an English translation for it:

Et postquam adnuit, agere incipiunt: quem illum tanta superbia esse ut
aeternitatem famae spe praesumat? usui et rebus subsidium praeparari ne quis
inopia advocato- rum potentibus obnoxius sit. neque tamen eloquentiam
gratuito contingere: omitti curas familiaris ut quis se alienis negotiis
intendat. multos militia, quosdam exercendo agros tolerare vitam: nihil a
quoquam expeti nisi cuius fructus ante providerit. facile Asinium et
Messalam, inter Antonium et Augustum bellorum praemiis refertos, aut ditium
familia- rum heredes Aeserninos et Arruntios magnum animum induisse. prompta
sibi exempla, quantis mercedibus P. Clodius aut C. Curio contionari soliti
sint. se modicos senatores <qui> quieta re publica nulla nisi pacis
emolumenta peterent. cogitaret plebem quae toga enitesceret: sublatis
studiorum pretiis etiam studia peritura. ut minus decora haec, ita haud
frustra dicta princeps ratus, capiendis pecuniis <posuit> modum usque ad
dena sestertia quem egressi repe- tundarum tenerentur. [P. C. Tacitus,
Annales, 11.7]

When he had nodded assent, they began to plead their cause. 'Who, 'they
asked, 'can be so arrogant as to anticipate in hope an eternity of renown?
It is for the needs and the business of life that the resource of eloquence
is acquired, thanks to which no one for want of an advocate is at the mercy
of the powerful. But eloquence cannot be obtained for nothing; private
affairs are neglected, in order that a man may devote himself to the
business of others. Some support life by the profession of arms, some by
cultivating land. No work is expected from any one of which he has not
before calculated the profits. It was easy for Asinus Messala, enriched with
the prizes of the conflict between Antony and Augustus, it was easy for
Arruntius and Aeserninus, the heirs of wealthy families, to assume grand
airs. We have examples at hand. How great were the fees for which Publius
Clodius and Caius Curio were wont to speak! We are ordinary senators,
seeking in the tranquility of the State for non but peaceful gains. You must
consider the plebeian, how he gains distinction from the gown. Take away the
rewards of a profession, and the profession must perish.' The emperor
thought that these arguments, though less noble, were not without force. He
limited the fee which might be taken to ten thousand sesterces, and those
who exceeded this limit were to be liable to the penalties of exortion.

[tr. A. J. Church and W. J. Brodribb]

Sorin Sabou, PhD
Lector, Institutul Teologic Baptist din Bucuresti
Pastor, Biserica Baptista Romana din Brasov
tel.:+044-[0]788-241-752
email: sorinsabou AT zappmobile.ro
www.conformatiochristi.ro