corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] the RHTWR of Acts 24

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Tim Harris <tim.harris AT stmatts.asn.au>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] the RHTWR of Acts 24
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 14:35:06 +1030

The context is talking about advocates before the courts. The latin term used
is
ADVOCATUS ("usui et rebus subsidium praeparari ne quis inopia advocatorum
potentibus obnoxius sit"), whilst the sentence translated "Take away the
rewards of a profession, and the profession must perish" reads "sublatis
studiorum pretiis etiam studia peritura."

The relevant section reads:

(Church and Brodribb trans) "It is for the needs and the business of life that
the resource of eloquence is acquired, thanks to which no one for want of an
advocate is at the mercy of the powerful. But eloquence cannot be obtained for
nothing; private affairs are neglected, in order that a man may devote himself
to the business of others. Some support life by the profession of arms, some
by
cultivating land. No work is expected from any one of which he has not before
calculated the profits. It was easy for Asinius and Messala, enriched with the
prizes of the conflict between Antony and Augustus, it was easy for Arruntius
and Aeserninus, the heirs of wealthy families, to assume grand airs. We have
examples at hand. How great were the fees for which Publius Clodius and Caius
Curio were wont to speak! We are ordinary senators, seeking in the
tranquillity
of the State for none but peaceful gains. You must consider the plebeian, how
he
gains distinction from the gown. Take away the rewards of a profession, and
the
profession must perish." The emperor thought that these arguments, though less
noble, were not without force. He limited the fee which might be taken to ten
thousand sesterces, and those who exceeded this limit were to be liable to the
penalties of extortion."

Hope this helps.

Tim