corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Did Paul break the Law?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000 AT comcast.net>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Did Paul break the Law?
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 10:54:58 -0600

"Harold R. Holmyard III" wrote:
Once  this reading of the schema of Gal 3 is entertained, doesn't that make the discussion of whether "until" is temporary or timeless almost superfluous?
 HH: It is not superfluous but a doctrinal issue important to the way people live their lives.  Believers are not under the law, as Galatians itself says: Gal. 2:19 For through the law I died to the law so that I might live for God. Gal. 3:10 ¶ All who rely on observing the law are under a curse, for it is written:  "Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law." Gal. 4:21 ¶ Tell me, you who want to be under the law, are you not aware of what the law says?
Gal. 4:22 For it is written that Abraham had two sons, one by the slave woman and the other by the free woman.
Gal. 4:23 His son by the slave woman was born in the ordinary way; but his son by the free woman was born as the result of a promise.
Gal. 4:24 ¶ These things may be taken figuratively, for the women represent two covenants. One covenant is from Mount Sinai and bears children who are to be slaves: This is Hagar.
Gal. 4:25 Now Hagar stands for Mount Sinai in Arabia and corresponds to the present city of Jerusalem, because she is in slavery with her children.
Gal. 4:26 But the Jerusalem that is above is free, and she is our mother.Gal. 4:27 For it is written:  "Be glad, O barren woman, who bears no children; break forth and cry aloud, you who have no labor pains; because more are the children of the desolate woman than of her who has a husband."
Gal. 4:28 ¶ Now you, brothers, like Isaac, are children of promise. Gal. 5:18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under law. 1Tim. 1:9 Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,1Tim. 1:10 For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;

I feel I need to note, Harold,  that the manner in which you buttress your argument, by  proof-texting,  is not an acceptable manner of argumentation on this list.  Posts from you -- or from any one -- who try to make their case in this way  will not be accepted.

Jeffrey Gibson
---

Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)

1500 W. Pratt Blvd. #1