corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Did Paul break the Law?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Did Paul break the Law?
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 20:28:20 -0600

Title: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Did Paul break the Law?
Dear Calvin,

HH: When I say this, I do not mean that God has forgotten His OT promises to the Jews, or that He no longer is aware of distinctions. I mean that in this age they are not significant spiritually. This is what Paul teaches, and to say that it only applies to Gentiles is to restrict the meaning of Paul's assertions too much.

I was reeling while reading your post, (remembering your dispensational stance) until the last paragraph. :>)
If you say God has "certain promises" that only apply to the Jews, is that not a distinction? (whether spiritual or not)

HH: If you reread my convoluted comment, you will see that I do not mean that God is no longer aware of distinctions. That is, I believe He is still aware of distinctions. Paul speaks as though these distinctions do exist:

Rom. 11:26 And so all Israel will be saved, as it is written:  "The deliverer will come from Zion; he will turn godlessness away from Jacob.
Rom. 11:27 And this is my covenant with them when I take away their sins."
Rom. 11:28 ΒΆ As far as the gospel is concerned, they are enemies on your account; but as far as election is concerned, they are loved on account of the patriarchs,
Rom. 11:29 for God's gifts and his call are irrevocable.
Rom. 11:30 Just as you who were at one time disobedient to God have now received mercy as a result of their disobedience,
Rom. 11:31 so they too have now become disobedient in order that they too may now receive mercy as a result of God's mercy to you.

HH: I appreciate you remembering my dispensational background. I'm premillennial but tend to be posttribulational and take the 144,000 as actually Jewish people, not as a symbol of all believers. I accept that the number might be stylized, but that it represents a substantial portion of each of the historical tribes of Israel. I suppose that if God knows the number of hairs on each of our heads, He may be able to keep track of DNA better than we can.

HH: Let's say that as the times of the Gentiles draw to a close, God does cut off many of the Gentile branches for their unbelief and does graft back into the tree of blessing many of the Jewish branches. Then during the tribulation the Church might be strongly Jewish in membership. It would be a terrible time, but their shining light during that time would lead to the great glory they enjoy during the millennium:

Rom. 11:15 For if their rejection is the reconciliation of the world, what will their acceptance be but life from the dead?

Is. 61:6 And you will be called priests of the LORD, you will be named ministers of our God. You will feed on the wealth of nations, and in their riches you will boast.
Is. 61:7 Instead of their shame my people will receive a double portion, and instead of disgrace they will rejoice in their inheritance; and so they will inherit a double portion in their land, and everlasting joy will be theirs.

Is. 61:9 Their descendants will be known among the nations and their offspring among the peoples. All who see them will acknowledge that they are a people the LORD has blessed."

Is. 62:2 The nations will see your righteousness, and all kings your glory; you will be called by a new name that the mouth of the LORD will bestow.
Is. 62:3 You will be a crown of splendor in the LORD's hand, a royal diadem in the hand of your God.

                                Yours,
                                Harold Holmyard