corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Ro 12:6

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Ro 12:6
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 17:15:12 -0500

Title: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Ro 12:6
Dear Jim,

Sometimes commentators obscure as much as they clarify.  One such case is Rom 12:6, specifically, "kata thn analogian thV pistewV.   What does this mean?  Wilckens, Kasemann, and even Dunn are, in my view, just not very helpful here.  Their explanations are as unclear as Paul is.  What is the "proportion of faith" and how does having this "proportion" demonstrate the giftedness of the "prophet".  Maybe its as simple as the nose on my face, but it just doesn't make sense.

HH: Please let me add a word to this discussion. The word analogian  should be understood in the context of Paul's remarks not to think too highly of oneself but to humbly use his individual gift for the benefit of the body. The word analogian can be "proportion," "ratio," "analogy," or "correspondence." So one question is what the "faith" (pistiV) is.  It may be that the definite article with pistiV here is the article of previous reference and looks back to verse 3, where each is given a measure of faith:

ekastw wß o qeoß emerisen metron pisteß

It seems that Paul ties the "measure of faith" with our function (praxin) in the body in the next verse, Rom 12:4:

kaqaper gar en eni swmati polla me÷lh ecomen, ta de melh panta ou thn authn ecei praxin

Rom 12:6 makes the same connection between ability and faith, it seems, since it continues the point about judging oneself according to the measure of faith begun in verse 3:

Rom. 12:6 but having different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man's gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith.

HH: We are not to be puffed up, but should evaluate ourselves in relation to the measure of faith that God has measured us, which is measured in connection with the gift of service that He has given us. God gave the gift and ability, so why be self-exalting? Furthermore, since we have differing gifts, we obviously are going to be more gifted in our area than people who don't have a gift in that area. But they have gifts in areas where we don't.

HH: The measure of faith (v. 3) corresponds to the gift (v. 6), which corresponds to the function in the body (v. 5). We naturally have faith in areas where we are gifted, because we sense that we have an uncommon ability in that sphere. Yet the gift is only as extensive as the faith that God has measured with it.

HH: One who has the gift of prophesying should not prophesy beyond the measure of faith that God has granted him. Just as we are to evaluate ourselves soberly, so we are to exercise our gifts soberly. If I have faith to deliver a pint-size message, I should not try to convey a gallon.

                                Yours,
                                Harold Holmyard