corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Ro 12:6

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Ro 12:6
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 13:38:44 -0400

At 01:19 PM 8/25/2004, you wrote:
I don't think that analogian intends to "demonstrate the giftedness of the prophet."  Rather, the instructions have to do with *how* the gift is exercised.  It's often difficult to get a handle on words that are hapax (at least, only appearance in the NT).

It isn't the words that are troublesome or even their "meaning"; its what the phrase means that is troublesome.

N. T. Wright suggests that since the basic meaning "concerns proportion within a relationship,"

Tell me what "concerns proportion within a relationship" means.

"Paul intends to refer to the proportional relationship between the Christian faith as a whole and what individual prophets say."

Sorry, but this simply defines with the same words.  We learned in third grade that you cant define words simply by using the same words.  "Dog means dog" would have gotten us a swift trip to the principal's office for being a smartaleck.  (I should know, I spent a lot of time there for precisely that crime).

 In other words:  pretty close to what traditional interpreters used to call "the analogy of faith."

Tell me what "the analogy of faith" means. And you can't use the words analogy or faith or proportion or the like.

Just because you feel inspired, don't spout off a bunch of stuff that would not integrate with what is already known.

I think if Paul wanted to say something this simply and clearly he could have.  That he doesn't means that this is something he is NOT saying.  Paul was smart, had a huge vocabulary, and used words with great precision.  When he wanted to call something crap, he did so without hedging or hesitating (recall "skuballa").

 As Wright says:  "prophets should not feel themselves at liberty to say whatever comes into their heads, but rather should speak in conscious accord with the beliefs that make the church what it is."

Same as above.  If Paul wanted to say something this plainly, why didn't he just do it?  Certainly none of us thinks Wright more gifted than Paul?

Thanks

Jim

Jim West, ThD
Pastor, First Baptist Church Petros