corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] exegetical issues in 1 Cor

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Frich107 AT aol.com
  • To: corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] exegetical issues in 1 Cor
  • Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 08:14:39 EDT

In a message dated 27/8/04 1:42:35 pm, polymath AT optusnet.com.au writes:

I am currently preparing for a course on 1 Cor in Greek for next semester
(Tyndale College, Sydney).  The commentaries are Garland (Baker) and Hodge.
I have been compiling some simple questions to ask of the text.  I am
interested in any other issues people are aware of, as well as any
references - i.e. commentaries, papers, etc that raise/discuss these issues.
I have access to a theological library (Ridley College, Melbourne):

<snip>

8. is the head covering hair?  cpt 11

Somewhat interesting recent thoughts on this matter can be found in a recent edition of JBL:

Troy W. Martin, 'Paul's Argument from Nature for the Veil in 1 Corinthians 11:13-15: A Testicle Instead of a Head Covering' in JBL 123:1 (2004) pp.75-84.

Despite the rather controversial sounding title the article is well argued and backed up by copious references to ancient texts. I don't particularly agree with it all but it is well worth a look, and may appeal to students! I also believe that a monograph due out at the end of the month will also be dealing with this issue (not sure in quite what depth, though):

Jorunn Okland, Women in their Place (JSNT Sup. ?; London & New York: Continuum, 2004)

Best wishes,

Fred Rich

Ph.D. Student,
Department of Biblical Studies,