corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Second Temple Judaism and Covenant

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Rabbi Saul" <tim AT rabbisaul.com>
  • To: "Corpus-Paul" <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Second Temple Judaism and Covenant
  • Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 18:17:17 -0600

>. Paul's
> new concept is not at all that, but rather an after-life--NOT in this
world.

You continue to make these assertions - but you have no sign of exegesis to
back them up. As I said, Paul explicitly speaks of *the creation itself*
being set free from its bondage to decay (Rom 8.21), and the "redemption of
our bodies" (8.23). While it is true that he understands resurrection to
involve *transformation*, he still clearly expects that great event which is
coming (resurrection, renovation) to be a transformation of that which is
present, not simply something different. The redemption of creation itself
clearly refers to what *we* would call the world - otherwise creation would
be groaning for its own *obliteration*, rather than its redemption.

> Not "altered physical to spiritual": Then how would you describe Jesus
> floating on clouds, in a body form?" Body not of this world? What would
> that be? Hellenization forever changed theology (as well as Egyptians
> noticing the mummies still there in the coffins). To say the least there
> appears to be some equivocation in the meaning of the word "spirit."

"Floating on clouds"? Jesus' body in connection with clouds refer to times
of movement. (If it were a matter of "pure spirit," floating on clouds
would be nonsensical in any case.) The ascension was a movement, as will be
the return. I'm not sure where you get the notion that Jesus' body
permanently floats on clouds, and the fact that the NT refers to Him coming
and going on clouds is no more problematic than His walking on water.

tim

Tim Gallant
Pastor, Conrad Christian Reformed Church
Conrad, MT

Biblical Studies Center
http://www.timgallant.org/center.htm

Pauline studies: