corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Cephas and Peter in Galatians

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Stephen C. Carlson" <scarlson AT mindspring.com>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Cephas and Peter in Galatians
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 22:07:29 -0400

At 11:02 PM 8/15/2004 -0500, Harold R. Holmyard III wrote:
>I am catching up on e-mails and may have missed a response to this one of
>yours, but Titus and Timothy are not the same individual. That's what you
>seem to be thinking below. But Paul mentions Titus in a letter to Timothy (2
>Tim 4:10), so they are different people, I think. Nor am I confident that
>Titus was a shortened form of Timotheus.

Richard's arguments for equating Timothy and the Titus of 2 Cor. can be
found in detail in print, as follows: Richard G. Fellows, "Was Titus
Timothy?" JSNT 81 (2001): 33-58. The reference to a Titus in 2 Tim 4:10
is discussed on pages 35-36, and, like most of the Pauline scholarship
publishable in journals like JSNT, it adopts the position that 2 Tim.
is pseudepigraphical. However, this position is not strictly necessary
to the argument, if, as Fellows argued in the alternative, that whoever
wrote 2 Tim. 4:10 knew of someone named Titus other than Timothy and the
one mentioned in 2 Cor.

The relationship between Timothy and Titus, one of the few standard Latin
praenomina, is discussed on pp. 34-35.

Stephen Carlson
--
Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson AT mindspring.com