corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Cephas and Peter in Galatians

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Cephas and Peter in Galatians
  • Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 23:02:27 -0500

Dear Richard,

I am catching up on e-mails and may have missed a response to this one of yours, but Titus and Timothy are not the same individual. That's what you seem to be thinking below. But Paul mentions Titus in a letter to Timothy (2 Tim 4:10), so they are different people, I think. Nor am I confident that Titus was a shortened form of Timotheus.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard

I don't think there is any real mystery in the way Paul alternatively uses
"Peter" and "Cephas" in Galatians. He may do so merely for stylistic
reasons, as Allison has suggested (see D. Allison, 'Peter and Cephas: one
and the same', JBL 111(1992), pp. 489-495). The switch between Cephas and
Peter in Galatians avoids a cumbersome use of the same name six times in the
same letter.

Similarly in 2 Corinthians we have two mentions of the name "Timothy", after
which Paul switches to the name "Titus", which he used 8 times. It is
understandable that Paul should prefer to switch to the shorter name to
avoid laborious repetition of "Timotheus".