corpus-paul - RE: [Corpus-Paul] Gaius Titius Justus a.k.a. Stephanas

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "David C. Hindley" <dhindley AT compuserve.com>
  • To: "Corpus-Paul" <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Corpus-Paul] Gaius Titius Justus a.k.a. Stephanas
  • Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2004 10:45:42 -0400

Jeff says:

>>When one looks at the names of the disciples, it is interesting that some
have Hebrew names and some have Roman names depending on: where they were
from; the demographics of their region; their involvement with the Jewish
community and so on. Is it possible that the different names used reflect
more to whom the letters were written rather than just about whom they were
written? Is it possible that a writer would even bounce back and forth
between two different names to fully convey someone's character?<<

I have heard something along the lines you suggested that "explains" why the
letter of Galatians alternatively uses "Peter" and "Cephas" in chapter 2.
Supposedly, the name "Peter" was used when alluding to a (presumably well
known) church document that defined the territories of Paul and Peter. The
readers/hearers, it is assumed, would have been aware of the allusion.

While I personally don't buy into this (I think Gal 2:7b-8, "just as Peter
had been entrusted with the gospel to the circumcised (for he who worked
through Peter for the mission to the circumcised worked through me also for
the Gentiles)" is an interpolation), the idea presented by such a hypothesis
requires that the readers be aware of the tradition or facts that the
allusion refers to.

Respectfully,

Dave Hindley
Cleveland, Ohio, USA