corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Paul and the Torah

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Tim Gallant" <tim AT timgallant.org>
  • To: "Corpus-Paul" <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Paul and the Torah
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 14:31:51 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: <fveptcal AT yahoo.com>
To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 16, 2004 1:01 PM
Subject: [Corpus-Paul] Paul and the Torah

> Greetings Paul listers,
>
> If you were to build a library for the study of Paul,
> what would be ten 'must-have' volumes you would
> recommend? I am trying to put together a personal
> library for this very end, so any help would be much
> appreciated. Don't let the number 10 delimit you; if
> you think of more than 10, plese list them as well! :)

Well, the previously mentioned Westerholm volume is simply a must-have
intro. Sanders is a basic requirement, although that is more for his work
on Judaism rather than Paul himself, which has been considerably less
influential. And there are obviously list members who have well-respected
writings in this area....

I would also place at least the following on the list (in no particular
order):

* Frank Thielman, _Paul & the Law_. Thielman has several books in this
area, but this is the most comprehensive. Very helpful.

* James D. G. Dunn, ed. _Paul and the Mosaic Law_. This is the printed
version of the 1994 Durham-Tubingen symposium. An excellent cast of
perspectives.

* Bishop Wright's forthcoming work on Paul (in his Christian Origins series)
is obviously going to be of monumental significance. But I think we're
still at least a year away from seeing it. Meanwhile, there is a great deal
to glean from Wright's _The Climax of the Covenant_.

* Seyoon Kim's _Paul and the New Perspective_ is one of the most important
contributions defending a more or less traditional reading of Paul, as is
Peter Stuhlmacher's small volume _Revisiting Paul's Doctrine of
Justification_, although the subject matter is a bit more narrow.

* Moving into specific letters, the NIB commentaries by Wright on Romans and
Hays on Galatians are very important, because they reflect serious attempts
to follow Pauline arguments from start to finish, rather than snatch from
here and there.

* Don't forget the global Pauline theologies, the most significant of which
would probably be Herman Ridderbos, _Paul: An Outline of His Theology_, and
Dunn, _The Theology of Paul the Apostle_.

BTW, most of you are probably aware of this, but a great Internet resource
for NPP-related material is The Paul Page: http://www.thepaulpage.com

tim

Tim Gallant
Interim Pastor,