corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Paul and the Torah

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Ian W. Scott" <iscott2 AT uwo.ca>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Paul and the Torah
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 14:24:53 -0500

A good place to start is Stephen Westerholm's new book "Perspectives Old and
New on Paul: The Lutheran Paul and His Critics." Westerholm surveys the vast
literature on the subject (up to the last couple of years) and presents the
debate in a fairly comprehensible form. His survey also goes back to
Augustine, providing important context for the modern discussion.
Westerholm's
own reading of Paul is broadly traditional (though tightly argued), but even
one with less traditional leanings can gain from his book a good orientation
to the debate.

Ian Scott