corpus-paul - RE: [Corpus-Paul] Questions on Galatians

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: JERRY SUMNEY <JSUMNEY AT LEXTHEO.EDU>
  • To: 'Corpus-Paul' <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Corpus-Paul] Questions on Galatians
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 12:43:23 -0400

Billy Evans wrote:

"I think it is
best to consider circumcision as meaning what some arguments of the spies in
the text mean: Gentiles had to keep the whole law of Moses."
____________________
It seems to me that the discussion is made more difficult by this reading of
the position of the teachers Paul opposes in Galatians. Ithink Gal 5:2-3
shows that the teachers being rejected did NOT require the whole Law.
Saying the circumcision commits one to the Law is one of Paul's arguments
against listening to those teachers. The Acts 15 people may well (probably
did) require that Gentiles take on the whole Law. But they seem to be a
different group than those teachers in Galatia.

The Acts 15 people are talked about in Gal 2, but not because the
they or preceisely the same teaching is now in Galatia. Rather, Paul
mentions them as part of his evidence that he is the person to speak to the
issue of the Law for Gentiles. Paul thinks the teaching at Galatia and at
the Jerusalem Conference are similar enough that he can use the latter to
help him defeat the former, but that does not mean we can identify the 2 so
easily.

Jerry

Jerry L. Sumney
Lexington Theological Seminary