corpus-paul - Re: The blood of the covenant

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Hyam Maccoby" <h.z.maccoby AT leeds.ac.uk>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The blood of the covenant
  • Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 17:35:54 +0100

Dear Loren,

I think your interpretation of Jesus' words in a non-Eucharistic sense is
ingenious if rather implausible. I remember receiving a rather similar
interpretation from John Casey (in our discussion on the subject in Theology
some years ago). If you are right, Jesus never offered his body to be eaten
or his blood to be drunk, and the whole subsequent Christian Eucharistic
tradition is without firm foundation. Supporting the view that Jesus never
meant to offer his body and blood as sacrificial food is the evidence from
the Didache, which offers a ceremony similar to the Jewish Kiddush, without
any reference to eating body or blood.
However, I do not think that such ingenuity as yours in interpreting the
Gospels is necessary, since, as it seems to me, the Gospel accounts of the
Last Supper are simply attempts to import the Pauline Eucharist into the
narrative - attempts which show their artificiality by their inconsistency
with each other. The Gospel which shows the greatest enthusiasm of all for
the Eucharist is that of John, and he omits it from his Last Supper
narrative altogether. Surely this fact is very significant, showing that
the Eucharist is an intrusion into the Last Supper narrative, since if it
had been an integral ingredient, John, of all people, would surely have
included it. How do you explain his omission of it?
Where we differ most is about Jesus' attitude towards the Temple. I
think it is important to point out that his closest disciples, the leaders
of the Jerusalem Church, were strong supporters of the Temple, as is
stressed in Acts (e.g. Acts 2:46). Nothing that Jesus taught them led them
to believe that the validity of the Temple had ceased. Jesus himself sent
the leper he had cured to the Temple for purification; and even when he
attacked the corruption within the Temple in the incident of the
money-changers, he did so on the ground that they were desecrating 'the
house of God'. Jesus said that he would destroy the Temple, but people
always seem to omit the end of his pronouncement, that he would rebuild it
in three days. It was expected of a Messianic claimant that he would
rebuild the Temple, and that Herod's Temple would not last into the
Messianic period.

With all good wishes,

Hyam

Dr.Hyam Maccoby