corpus-paul - Re: The blood of the covenant

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Hyam Maccoby" <h.z.maccoby AT leeds.ac.uk>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The blood of the covenant
  • Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 12:17:13 +0100

Dear Bob,

Many thanks for your interesting letter, and for your appreciation of my
book RITUAL AND MORALITY. As you say, you cover a great deal of ground, but
here are few
reactions from me.

1. I think that circumcision does function as a kind of sacrifice in
Judaism. I have written about this at length in another book THE SACRED
EXECUTIONER, which I think you would find interesting. Here I argue that
circumcision was instituted as a substitute for human sacrifice, which
Judaism abolished (the chief narrative of this abolition being the
cancellation of the sacrifice of Isaac). I take into consideration
particularly the strange story of the circumcision performed by Zipporah,
the wife of Moses (Exodus 4). However, there is no mystique in Judaism
about the blood of circumcision, which does not figure in any rite, whether
in the Temple or outside it. There is a legend, however (as pointed out by
Lawrence Hoffman in his COVENANT OF BLOOD, p. 100) that blood of
circumcision played a part in the exemption of the Israelites from the tenth
plague of Egypt. This legend, however, appears only in one rather late
source, Pirqei de-Rabbi Eliezer, which also sees redemption from sins as
resulting from the first circumcision, that of Abraham.

2. There is no etymological connection between OHEL and MOHEL. The two
words are derived from entirely different Hebrew roots (see BDB or any other
dictionary of Biblical Hebrew).

3. Menstrual blood is regarded in OT as polluting, yet there are
indications, both in OT and Talmud, that it has aspects of holiness (see my
remarks on the sacrifice of the Red Cow - whose ashes, mixed with water are
called MEI NIDDAH, which means literally 'water of menstruation'; this
water is the chief instrument of purification). Pollution is quite often an
ambivalent concept.

4. I am glad you agree with me that Paul in 1 Cor. 11 is saying that he
received his information about the Eucharist directly from the heavenly
Christ, not from tradition. (There has been much argument about the correct
translation of his words on this.) Paul's account of the institution of the
Eucharist at the Last Supper is the earliest testimony to this. In my
opinion, the accounts given in the Synoptic Gospels are derived from Paul's
account, not from independent testimony. The Synoptic Gospels reproduce
Paul's account in very contradictory ways (see my PAUL AND HELLENISM).
John's Gospel gives a long account of the Last Supper but omits all mention
of any Eucharistic words or institution. In my opinion, the Last Supper did
take place, but Jesus did not say any Eucharistic words at it, though he did
have other important things to say at this climactic moment. Paul's vision
of the Last Supper was just that - a vision. I am not denying that Paul had
a visionary experience, but modern psychology has much to teach about such
experiences.

5. I think that the evidence is strong that the Jerusalem Church did not
practise the Eucharist.

With all good wishes,

Hyam

Dr.Hyam Maccoby