corpus-paul - The blood of the covenant

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Bob MacDonald <bobmacdonald AT shaw.ca>
  • To: 'Corpus-paul' <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: The blood of the covenant
  • Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2002 14:18:56 -0700

Somewhere in the Talmud is a phrase something like this: the blood of the
covenant creates the world. (Anyone know where this is and what its history
is in Rabbinic thought?) Is there a good Talmudic search engine (in
English - <sigh>)?

I am wondering - preliminary to the ultimate question about the world, the
universe and everything (still being refined) - how this relates to Paul's
thought in 2 Corinthians 5 'If anyone is in Christ, there is a new
creation.'

I expect to find in the Torah a substantial thought pattern on blood and its
sacrificial aspect as a justification of the gospel and its relation to the
Eucharist. (Relevant to John chapter 6 also). This relates to the origins of
liturgy, practice, and meaning of this feast as perceived in the first
century - whether in different centres differently or not I do not yet know.
(I.e. a different view for a Hellenist Jew vs. a Hebrew vs. a Pagan vs. a
barbarian.)

I think this is key to Paul's gospel and experience. Is it also a source of
division within Judaism or not (for example between James and Paul)?

Thanks

Bob

mailto::BobMacDonald AT shaw.ca
+ + + Victoria, B.C., Canada + + +